Autumn Pot Roast
There are so many things that I love. BUT, one of my favorite things in the world is a good pot roast. How could you not love a good pot roast? The meat is braised in an absolutely gorgeous liquid and is surrounded by velvety soft vegetables. See, what’s not to love? Pot roast was also a favorite of mine when I was younger. Just smelling the amazing aromas when I came home used to make me feel so happy (yes, SO happy). This particular version of pot roast that I created is unapologetically infused with the flavors of autumn. Between the sweet garnet yams acting in for the potatoes to the lovely and spicy stick of cinnamon added, this pot roast makes for an amazing meal for any weeknight or even for the most distinguished guests. Serve it with a large Tossed Cranberry Salad and a nice crusty loaf of bread and let the compliments pour in!
1 boneless chuck roast, about 3 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5-6 carrots, cut into rounds
2 large garnet yams, cut into chunks
2 large onions, cut into thick slices
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 stick of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. In the meantime, combine salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a small bowl and rub onto chuck roast. Place chuck roasted in heated oil and brown on each side for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from dutch oven and set aside.
- Add carrots, yams, onion, and garlic and sauté with a liberal sprinkle of salt and pepper for 7-9 minutes to brown onion.
- Add beef broth, wine, mustard, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, bay leaves and cinnamon over vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chuck roast back in and continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- Cover and place in preheated oven. Cook for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until chuck roast is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with Tossed Cranberry Salad.