Chunky Tomato Soup
Is it weird that I always crave a good tomato soup? It doesn’t matter how hot or how cold the weather is, tomato soup is always my go-to. I have to say, though, sometimes I like my soups a little more chunky and a little more brothy. I’m not always in the mood for the typical pureed tomato soups and bisques. That’s why I created this recipe for a Chunky Tomato Soup. It’s hearty, it’s packed with flavor, and it’s just as comforting as its smooth and sleek relatives. My favorite part of the whole recipe is infusing the extra virgin olive oil in the very beginning with the fragrant herbs. It sets up a beautiful foundation of flavor and not to mention it makes your whole home smell fantastic. Another plus of this recipe is that it is actually vegan, so it’s completely friendly for all diet needs. Oh, and don’t forget to top it with a few (or many) Garlic Sourdough Crisps or even serve it next to Trisha's gorgeous Ultimate Adult Grilled Cheese and invite me over for dinner.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced finely
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups (1 quart) vegetable broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add thyme leaves and dried basil and sauté until oil is fragrant and infused, about 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until onion is cooked and slightly transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the diced tomatoes, sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then, add vegetable broth and stir well. Allow to come to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring the soup every 10 minutes or so.
- Serve with fresh Garlic Sourdough Crisps.