Easy Queso Dip
Queso dip is one of those things that is so ubiquitous with Super Bowl parties that without it there wouldn't really be proper Super Bowl parties. Thus, I decided to create a recipe for an Easy Queso Dip that can be whipped up in about 10 minutes and that had so much more flavor than that jarred stuff. My favorite type of cheese to use with this is a nice sharp cheddar cheese. However, other types of cheese, like pepper jack or even gouda, would be absolutely gorgeous in this as well. Be creative and don’t be too afraid to add some additional spice or anything else that you think would be delicious in this queso dip!
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 large onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1 tomato, diced finely
4 oz. can chopped green chiles (I like the spicy, but mild is ok too.)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine shredded cheddar cheese and flour. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter. When melted, add onions and garlic and sauté until onions begin to turn translucent and soft.
- Then, add tomato, green chiles, ground cumin, chili powder, and salt and cook for another few minutes or until the tomatoes are slightly softened.
- Add in milk and cheddar cheese mixture and continue to cook until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.